Details for Saint Matthew's Episcopal Church (Atlas Number 5255004472)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5255004472

Data

Marker Number 4472
Atlas Number 5255004472
Marker Title Saint Matthew's Episcopal Church
Index Entry Saint Matthew's Episcopal Church
Address
City Kenedy
County Karnes
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 612043
UTM Northing 3188098
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Greek Revival (Architectural style); design and construction; Episcopal denomination
Marker Year 1986
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 309 S. 5th Street, Kenedy
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Episcopal worship services were held in Kenedy as early as 1899, though the congregation of St. Matthew's was not organized as a mission until 1913, by the Rev. Alfred R. S. Garden. Designed by Frank Corby, this was the only Episcopal church in the county when completed in 1916. The Gothic Revival style structure, in a Latin cross plan, features tall, narrow, pointed-arch windows, fabricated buttresses, and a side entry bay narthex. A crenelated tower was rebuilt with a gabled roof following damage in a 1942 hurricane. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -1986