Details for Church of the Good Shepherd (Atlas Number 5257008499)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5257008499

Data

Marker Number 8499
Atlas Number 5257008499
Marker Title Church of the Good Shepherd
Index Entry Church of the Good Shepherd
Address
City Terrell
County Kaufman
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 755040
UTM Northing 3625688
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Episcopal denomination; Gothic Revial (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1967
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 200 W. College (corner of College and Frances Sts.), Terrell
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Organized as mission by Rev. John Portmess, vicar, Trinity Sunday, 1877. First services were held at Terrell Academy, a private school founded by the vicar. In 1878 first church edifice was built on this site and consecrated. Parish was admitted to Diocese of Dallas at its Primary Council in 1895. Victorian Gothic church was completed in 1907. It has an elaborately carved oak altar and a rare Gratian organ. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967