Details for Terrell Elementary School (Atlas Number 5257008555)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5257008555

Data

Marker Number 8555
Atlas Number 5257008555
Marker Title Terrell Elementary School
Index Entry Terrell Elementary School
Address 700 N Catherine St
City Terrell
County Kaufman
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 752099
UTM Northing 3620456
Subject Codes educational buildings; educational topics; Federal programs; design and construction
Marker Year 1997
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 700 N. Catherine St., Terrell
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text This location has been home to a school building for the students of the Terrell area since 1901. The site was selected to serve the children living north of the Texas and Pacific Railway tracks nearby. A two-story building named the North Primary School was completed here in September 1901 at a cost of $9,000, and contained six classrooms with facilities for 300 pupils. Over the years increased enrollment placed greater demand on the primary school and other schools. In 1931 the Terrell School Board decided to erect new school buildings with financial assistance provided by the Public Works Administration. Completed in 1936, this primary school was designed by Dallas architect Mark Lemmon, and contained 14 classrooms and an auditorium with a 12-foot stage. Still in use, this building is a fine example of Georgian revival architecture, featuring a 5-bay primary facade, rounded pedimented entry doors, round-arch windows on the auditorium, and chimney-like features at the gable ends. The school was renamed in 1979 in honor of Superintendent John E. Langwith (1889-1976) who served the Terrell School District from 1923-1959. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1996