Details for Texas & Pacific Railroad Freight Depot (Atlas Number 5257008559)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5257008559

Data

Marker Number 8559
Atlas Number 5257008559
Marker Title Texas & Pacific Railroad Freight Depot
Index Entry Texas & Pacific Railroad Freight Depot
Address 200 S Virginia St
City Terrell
County Kaufman
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 755249
UTM Northing 3625196
Subject Codes railroad depots; railroads
Marker Year 1996
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 200 S. Virginia St., Terrell
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Founded in 1873, the town of Terrell was located on the route of the Texas & Pacific Railroad. Robert A. Terrell, for whom the town was named, was a surveyor and landowner in Kaufman County. Portions of land were given to the Texas & Pacific by the Terrell Family, Judge W. D. Irvine, C. C. Nash, and John G. Moore, with the condition that a permanent depot be established within the donated land here. The first depot, a 20' x 60' frame structure, was completed by June 1873. The depot nearly doubled in size by 1884 to a 20' x 102' structure with an office, waiting room and freight room, surrounded by a freight platform of 8,360 square feet. By 1892 a separate passenger depot was built across the street. This freight depot was constructed in 1911, in an era of infrastructure expansion of the national rail system. This utilitarian building retains most of its original features, including three bays on its primary facade, a broad hipped roof, and freight doors on the north, south, and east sides. Once an integral part of the region's economy, this depot was closed in 1977. It remains a significant element of the town's railroad past.