Details for August Faltin Building (Atlas Number 5259000237)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5259000237

Data

Marker Number 237
Atlas Number 5259000237
Marker Title August Faltin Building
Index Entry Faltin, August, Building
Address
City Comfort
County Kendall
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 508778
UTM Northing 3314975
Subject Codes buildings; commercial buildings; Italianate; design and construction; German immigrants/immigration
Marker Year 1982
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Main and Seventh, Comfort
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Prussian native Friedrich August Faltin (1830-1905) moved to Comfort in 1856 and purchased the general merchandise business of Theodor Goldbeck, located at this site. Trained in his father's store, which had been established about 1818 in Danzig, Prussia, now Gdansk, Poland, Faltin became a leading merchant of the Texas Hill Country. In addition, his 1869 partnership with Capt. Charles Schreiner of Kerrville became the nucleus of the vast Schreiner enterprises. By the late 1870s Faltin's business, which included banking and post office services, had outgrown the structure at this site and he had architect Alfred Giles of San Antonio design a new building. Constructed by the noted builder J. H. Kampmann, the Victorian Italian edifice was completed in 1879. Later run by Faltin's sons Richard and August S., the business was sold in 1907 to their brother-in-law Dan Holekamp and his sons Otto and Edgar. That same year an addition to the building was completed. Also designed by Giles, it included second floor space for meetings of fraternal and civic groups. In 1968 the property was sold back to the Faltin family. The August Faltin Building remains as a symbol of the area's early commercial growth. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982