Details for Kuhlmann-King House (Atlas Number 5259002977)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5259002977

Data

Marker Number 2977
Atlas Number 5259002977
Marker Title Kuhlmann-King House
Index Entry Kuhlmann-King House
Address 402 E. Blanco
City Boerne
County Kendall
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 526079
UTM Northing 3296227
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; educational topics; German immigrants/immigration
Marker Year 1982
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location on W side of city hall
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text This structure was built in the late 1880s as a residence for German native William Kuhlmann (1856-1918), a successful pharmacist and landholder. He sold the home in 1908 to Selina Long King (1831-1910), whose sons operated the local King & King Lumber Co. The Boerne Independent School District owned the house from 1920 to 1951, using it for rental property as well as for school-related purposes. Hill Country artist Harry Anthony DeYoung (1893-1956) leased the house for two years while teaching art in San Antonio. The Kuhlmann-King house has been owned by the city of Boerne since 1951. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982