Details for Waring Schoolhouse (Atlas Number 5259005719)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5259005719

Data

Marker Number 5719
Atlas Number 5259005719
Marker Title Waring Schoolhouse
Index Entry Waring Schoolhouse
Address
City Waring
County Kendall
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 518865
UTM Northing 3313528
Subject Codes educational buildings; educational topics; Irish immigrants/immigration
Marker Year 1986
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 108 Avenue, Waring - from Comfort take IH-10 2 miles S, then FM 1621 5 miles E to Waring
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Anglo pioneers in a predominantly German-settled area built the west wing of this building in 1891. Land for this first public school was given by Robert Percival Maxwell Waring, a native of Ireland for whom the town had been named in 1888. Citizens volunteered labor, funds, and materials for the building, and paid their children's tuition of $1 to $1.50 per month. The east wing was added in 1903, and exterior braces were applied in the 1930s. The school closed in 1954. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986