Details for The Armstrong Ranch House (Atlas Number 5261005287)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5261005287

Data

Marker Number 5287
Atlas Number 5261005287
Marker Title The Armstrong Ranch House
Index Entry Armstrong Ranch House, The
Address
City Sarita
County Kenedy
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes ranches/ranching; houses, residential buildings
Marker Year 1982
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location from Sarita, take US 77 south about 20 miles - private - no access
Marker Size 16" x 12" Plate & Medallion
Marker Text This residence was begun in 1897, after John B. Armstrong moved the headquarters of his ranch from the Chicago pasture (7 mi. SE) to this site. Built in stages, the house was completed about 1900. The first portion was made of adobe and plastered over. Later a frame wing was added. Changes were made to the front porch after the destructive hurricane of 1919. This structure exemplifies the evolution of a South Texas ranch headquarters.