Details for First Church in Community Copperas Methodist Church (Atlas Number 5267001528)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5267001528

Data

Marker Number 1528
Atlas Number 5267001528
Marker Title First Church in Community Copperas Methodist Church
Index Entry Copperas Methodist Church, First Church in Community
Address
City Junction
County Kimble
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 405948
UTM Northing 3374556
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; eccesiastical buildings; churches
Marker Year 1968
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location from Junction go west on IH-10 11.5 miles - take exit FM 1674, go east 1.1 miles to marker and church
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Organized in 1881 by circuit rider, Andrew Jackson Potter, who helped firmly establish the Methodist church in West Texas. Before construction of church on this site in 1917, services were held in schoolhouse or under brush arbor 3/4 mi. SW on west bank, Copperas Creek. Building site was donated by J. A. Cowsert. Lumber was hauled here by wagon from Menard. Labor was donated by members and other local residents. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968