Details for Near Route of Old Military Road (Atlas Number 5267003545)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5267003545

Data

Marker Number 3545
Atlas Number 5267003545
Marker Title Near Route of Old Military Road
Index Entry Military Road
Address
City Junction
County Kimble
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 435417
UTM Northing 3365323
Subject Codes roads; military topics
Marker Year 1975
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location from Junction, take IH-10E about 8 miles to Exit #465 (Segovia) - marker is on access road in front of truck stop
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text SUPPLY LINE FROM U.S. ARMY HEADQUARTERS IN SAN ANTONIO TO FORT TERRETT, 1852-1854. IN THE 1850'S TWO-THIRDS OF TEXAS WAS HELD BY COMANCHES OR THREATENED BY RAIDS. POSTS SUCH AS FORT TERRETT STOOD FROM RED RIVER TO THE RIO GRANDE, FOR PROTECTION. THE FORT TERRETT ROAD PARALLELLED JOHNSON (ELM) FORK OF THE LLANO NEAR JUNCTION. THE ARMY CLOSED FORT TERRETT IN 1854, BUT SETTLERS USED THE ROUTE AS THEIR MAIN ROAD TO SAN ANTONIO. IT APPEARED ON KIMBLE COUNTY MAPS UNTIL 1930. PARTS OF THE ROAD ARE STILL VISIBLE. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - 1966