Details for Fort Clark Guardhouse (Atlas Number 5271001976)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5271001976

Data

Marker Number 1976
Atlas Number 5271001976
Marker Title Fort Clark Guardhouse
Index Entry Fort Clark Guardhouse
Address
City Brackettville
County Kinney
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 362173
UTM Northing 3242644
Subject Codes buildings; jails and prisons; forts; military topics
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location on northeast corner of McClernand and Baylor Street, Fort Clark Springs, Brackettville
Marker Size 12" x 16" Plate & Medallion
Marker Text Established in 1852, Fort Clark was manned by varying troop strengths over the years. This guardhouse was built in the 1870s during a period of fort expansion. A new stockade was built in 1942 to relieve overcrowding, and the guardhouse became headquarters for the military police. Built of limestone blocks, the building reflects an adoption of military design to local materials and climate, and retains its 1930s appearance. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962