Details for Robert J. Kleberg Public Library (Atlas Number 5273004297)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5273004297

Data

Marker Number 4297
Atlas Number 5273004297
Marker Title Robert J. Kleberg Public Library
Index Entry Kleberg, Robert J., Public Library
Address
City Kingsville
County Kleberg
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 611408
UTM Northing 3044250
Subject Codes women, women's history topics; libraries; design and construction; women's clubs
Marker Year 1981
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Third and Yoakum streets (southeast corner), Kingsville
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Begun by the Woman's Club in 1909, Kingsville's Public Library was moved to this building in 1927. B. E. Giesecke and A. W. Harris of Austin designed the Spanish colonial revival structure, which was built under the leadership of club president Mrs. John D. Finnegan. It is located on land donated from the Henrietta M. King Estate by Robert J. Kleberg, the prominent area cattleman for whom it was named. The public library was located here for 30 years.