Details for Santa Gertrudis, Headquarters of the King Ranch (Atlas Number 5273004583)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5273004583

Data

Marker Number 4583
Atlas Number 5273004583
Marker Title Santa Gertrudis, Headquarters of the King Ranch
Index Entry Santa Gertrudis, Headquarters of the King Ranch
Address
City Kingsville
County Kleberg
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 606969
UTM Northing 3044283
Subject Codes ranches/ranching; houses, residential buildings; women, women's history topics; design and construction
Marker Year 1981
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location on private property--King Ranch off SH 141 at west edge of Kingsville
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text On this site, part of the De La Garza Santa Gertrudis land grant purchased by Captain Richard King in 1853, has stood each of the King Ranch headquarters. The first, an adobe jacal, was replaced by a frame cottage which later burned. Under the direction of Robert J. Kleberg, Sr., this house was designed by Carlton W. Adams for Mrs. Henrietta King. Completed in 1915, it is the family home of Captain King's descendants who are owners of the King Ranch.