Details for Central Presbyterian Church (Atlas Number 5277008189)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5277008189

Data

Marker Number 8189
Atlas Number 5277008189
Marker Title Central Presbyterian Church
Index Entry Central Presbyterian Church
Address 309 S. Church St.
City Paris
County Lamar
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 263111
UTM Northing 3727191
Subject Codes philanthropy; churches
Marker Year 1994
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text This congregation, established during the Republic of Texas period, was organized as the First Cumberland Presbyterian Church on November 4, 1844, by the Rev. Samuel J. Corley, a circuit-riding minister. The first church building was erected in 1847. Under the leadership of the Rev. C. J. Bradley the church built a new sanctuary in 1859 at a site near downtown Paris. During the pastorate (1880-1908) of Dr. Charles Manton the congregation erected a new sanctuary (1891) and experienced tremendous growth. Flags throughout the community were flown at half-mast on the day of Dr. Manton's funeral in recognition of his many civic contributions. The congregation officially changed its name to Central Presbyterian Church in 1912. The 1891 sanctuary, destroyed in the devastating 1916 Paris fire, was replaced during the tenure of the Rev. L. C. Kirkes with this Gothic revival style sanctuary in 1917. Designed by Thomas Broad of the firm of Curtis, Broad, & Lightfoot, it features extensive stained glass by the Ford Brothers Glass Company in Minneapolis. Educational facilities have been added over the years. The congregation, noted for its education and music programs, is a leading civic institution that continues to provide spiritual guidance to the community. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994 Incise on front: Estate of Francenia Hicks