Details for Phillips and Trosper Buildings (Atlas Number 5281004010)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5281004010

Data

Marker Number 4010
Atlas Number 5281004010
Marker Title Phillips and Trosper Buildings
Index Entry Phillips and Trosper Buildings
Address 408-410 E 3rd St
City Lampasas
County Lampasas
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 578328
UTM Northing 3437139
Subject Codes buildings; commercial buildings
Marker Year 1994
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 408-410 East 3rd Street, Lampasas
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Many of Lampasas' downtown structures, including buildings on the site owned by prominent developer John B. Higdon, were gutted by fire in August 1884. Higdon then sold one lot to David W. Phillips, who served in the State Legislature in 1898-1902. Late in 1884, Phillips erected the eastern half of this pair of adjoining structures. Grocers J. M. and A. L. Trosper built the other half at about the same time. In 1888 the Trospers sold the property to noted civic leaders and druggists, H. N. and J. R. Key. The Key Brothers Drug Store occupied the Trosper building for 16 years. These buildings are good examples of late 19th century commercial storefront. They feature limestone construction, 4-bay facades, and round-arched transoms above the entry doors. The buildings have housed several businesses, including the Majestic Cafe, Donovan's Cafe, Hoover & Noyes Saloon, the Lampasas "Daily Leader" newspaper, the Bum's Domino Club, the workshop of a noted bootmaker, a bowling alley, grocery store, dance hall, furniture store, meat market, and apartments. The Trosper and Phillips buildings, important elements of downtown Lampasas, are both listed in the National Register of Historic places. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995