Details for Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church (Atlas Number 5285004489)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5285004489

Data

Marker Number 4489
Atlas Number 5285004489
Marker Title Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church
Index Entry Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church
Address
City Shiner
County Lavaca
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 677972
UTM Northing 3256262
Subject Codes Czech immigrants/immigration; eccesiastical buildings; design and construction; German immigrants/immigration; churches
Marker Year 1990
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 424 St. Ludmilla, Shiner
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Early German and Czech settlers in this area of Lavaca County attended Catholic worship services in private homes or at churches in Hallettsville or Moulton until 1890, when a new mission was established in Shiner by the Rev. John Anthony Forest. The new congregation was named for 9th-century Greek Missionaries Cyril and Methodius, who converted Slovakian-Moravian central Europeans to Christianity. The members acquired two acres of land at this site in 1891, and a frame sanctuary was completed in May of that year. In February 1892 a tornado caused extensive damage to the original church structure, but it was rebuilt on a larger scale. Designated a parish in 1912, the growing congregation soon needed larger facilities. This structure, designed by F. Wahrenburger, was built in 1920-21 by volunteer laborers led by the Rev. F. X. Wolf. An outstanding example of the Romanesque revival style of architecture, it features stained glass windows imported from Munich, Germany; cut stone detailing in the pinnacles and buttresses; an arcaded front portico; and a soaring, square tower with octagonal spire. Listed in the National Register of Historic places since 1983, it also features a magnificent painted interior. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990