Details for Concord Missionary Baptist Church (Atlas Number 5289009619)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5289009619

Data

Marker Number 9619
Atlas Number 5289009619
Marker Title Concord Missionary Baptist Church
Index Entry Concord Missionary Baptist Church
Address
City Concord
County Leon
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 772452
UTM Northing 3461358
Subject Codes Greek Revival (Architectural style); Baptist denomination; eccesiastical buildings; churches
Marker Year 1970
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location off SH 7 on CR 348 near cemetery in Concord about 8 mi. S of Jewett; church burned in wildfires in 2011, marker replaced with subject marker in 2012
Marker Size Medallion & Plate (1970); 18" x 28" (2012)
Marker Text The historic Concord Missionary Baptist Church was organized on April 21, 1855 by pioneer settlers prior to the establishment of the community of Concord. The first pastor was the Reverend W. A. Walker who is buried in the Concord Cemetery near the church. Isaac Burleson donated the land for a building. In 1855, a Greek Revival style building was erected. The deed for the church was recorded on June 7, 1856. The church was remodeled in 1961. On September 2, 2011, a Labor Day weekend wildfire destroyed the historic Concord Missionary Baptist Church sanctuary. (1970, 2012)