Details for James and Julia Anderson House (Atlas Number 5289012399)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5289012399

Data

Marker Number 12399
Atlas Number 5289012399
Marker Title James and Julia Anderson House
Index Entry Anderson, James and Julia, House
Address 417 Weakley St.
City Jewett
County Leon
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Queen Anne (Architectural style); houses, residential buildings; Victorian (architectural term); women
Marker Year 1999
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Ohio-born James Elgin Anderson (1836-1918) settled in Leon County in 1857. He enlisted in the Confederate army in 1861, serving with the Leon Hunters, Hood's Texas Brigade. After standing with Gen. Robert E. Lee at Appomattox in 1865, Capt. Anderson returned to Leon County, where he became a distinguished educator and married Julia Evans (1847-1897) in 1867. The Andersons purchased property here in 1875 and built a house with outside end chimneys. In keeping with Victorian trends, they remodeled the house between 1885 and 1895, adding a second story and the exuberant Eastlake detailing so prominent on the porches and along the roofline. A noted piece of Jewett's heritage, the house remained in the family for many years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1999