Details for Old Wells' Store (Atlas Number 5291009692)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5291009692

Data

Marker Number 9692
Atlas Number 5291009692
Marker Title Old Wells' Store
Index Entry Wells' Store, Old
Address
City Cleveland
County Liberty
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 309776
UTM Northing 3352761
Subject Codes markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1968
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location from Cleveland take SH 321 about 7 mi. SE
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Center section built about 1875 by D. W. Proctor & Company; later operated by L. L. Wells. This structure and earlier one on same site each served as general mercantile store. this building was center for visits and exchange of local news at "Tarkington's Prairie" community. Building has been used as post office, wagon stop, credit house, and voting place. Was located on Old Nacogdoches-Lynchburg Trail, a 19th century thoroughfare. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968