Details for Lipscomb County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5295012483)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5295012483


Marker Number 12483
Atlas Number 5295012483
Marker Title Lipscomb County Courthouse
Index Entry Lipscomb County Courthouse
City Lipscomb
County Lipscomb
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes courthouses; Classical Revival (architectural style)
Marker Year 2000
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Established in 1886 and organized the following year with Lipscomb as county seat, Lipscomb County was named for Abner S. Lipscomb, an associate justice of the Texas Supreme Court in the 1840s-1850s. A one-story wood frame building served as the first county courthouse. During the first decade of the 20th century, the number of farms and ranches in the county more than doubled, and the population more than tripled that of the 1900 census. In 1915, county voters approved the issuance of bonds for a new, larger courthouse to serve the governmental functions of a growing county. The commissioners court selected William M. Rice of Amarillo as both architect and general contractor for the project. Edward S. Altmiller, who had been the contractor for the 1910 Lipscomb County jail, served as construction superintendent. Rice designed the courthouse in the Classical Revival style, with style-defining features such as the arched doorway and the triangular pediment supported by Doric order columns over the entrance. Design and construction took place primarily during 1916, with final details completed in early 1917. Despite its status as the smallest town in the county, largely the result of being bypassed by the railroad, Lipscomb retains its designation as county seat. The Lipscomb County courthouse, which dominates the town site, continues to function as the center of government and politics for county residents. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2000