Details for Site of Three Rivers Glass Factory (Atlas Number 5297005482)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5297005482

Data

Marker Number 5482
Atlas Number 5297005482
Marker Title Site of Three Rivers Glass Factory
Index Entry Three Rivers Glass Factory, Site of
Address FM 72, N of US 281
City Three Rivers
County Live Oak
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 579712
UTM Northing 3148616
Subject Codes geology; factories, industrial buildings
Marker Year 1973
Designations
Marker Location FM 72, 4 blocks west of US 281 (just past railroad tracks), Three Rivers
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Opened 1922 by company headed by Charles R. Tips (b. 1892), the founder of town of Three Rivers. Powered by local natural gas, plant used quartzose sand mined in area to make glass bottles for milk and other beverages and jars for food and cosmetics, attaining annual gross sales of a million dollars. Sold in 1937 to Ball Glass Company, it was closed in 1938, but had shown Texas potential in the industry. In later years, factory site became location of a warehouse. Glass with Three Rivers cipher is highly prized by collectors.