Details for H. & T. C. Railroad (Atlas Number 5309002311)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5309002311

Data

Marker Number 2311
Atlas Number 5309002311
Marker Title H. & T. C. Railroad
Index Entry H. & T. C. Railroad
Address
City Waco
County McLennan
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes railroads
Marker Year 1966
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location N/A
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Waco & Northwestern Railroad (a subsidary of Houston & Texas Central) was built under charter given Waco group in 1866. When tracks reached Waco, Sept. 18, 1872, W. & N.W. president John T. Flint was master of ceremonies as the area's first merchant of the 1840's, George Barnard, drove a gold spike into the last rail. Then came the first train. The railroad moved cotton and other goods out and in, enabling Waco to serve great volumes of traffic drawn from area by the Brazos River suspension bridge, built 1868-1870, also by Flint and other civic-minded men.