Details for Freeman Plantation (Atlas Number 5315008041)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5315008041

Data

Marker Number 8041
Atlas Number 5315008041
Marker Title Freeman Plantation
Index Entry Freeman Plantation
Address
City Jefferson
County Marion
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 371650
UTM Northing 3625994
Subject Codes Greek Revival (Architectural style); plantations
Marker Year 1980
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 1 mi. west of Jefferson on SH 49 (watch for sign)
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text This Greek revival plantation home was built about 1850 by Williamson M. (1807-66) and Drucilla (1812-65) Freeman for their children. A cotton and sugar cane planter, Freeman also operated a river freighting business. Materials use din construction of the house include hand-hewn timbers and brick made on the site. In the 1870s the residence was sold to R. E. Rowell (1826-1900), a former Confederate doctor, who later served as county treasurer. A rear wing was added to the home during the ownership of oilman L. S. Flannery (d. 1961), who purchased the property in 1937. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965