Details for Jefferson Playhouse (Atlas Number 5315008058)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5315008058

Data

Marker Number 8058
Atlas Number 5315008058
Marker Title Jefferson Playhouse
Index Entry Jefferson Playhouse
Address Henderson and Market St.
City Jefferson
County Marion
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 373719
UTM Northing 3625107
Subject Codes
Marker Year 1965
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Built about 1860 by Robert W. Nesmith, a contractor of stage lines. After several changes in ownership, house was purchased 1869 for Sisters of Charity and used as their convent, hospital and school (called St. Mary's). In 1875, property was bought by Sinai Hebrew Congregation of Jefferson. An auditorium was added, and served as the local synagogue until about 1900. Owned and restored by the Jessie Allen Wise Garden Club. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965