Details for The Marsh Place (Atlas Number 5315008070)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5315008070

Data

Marker Number 8070
Atlas Number 5315008070
Marker Title The Marsh Place
Index Entry Marsh Place
Address 202 S. Friou St.
City Jefferson
County Marion
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 373231
UTM Northing 3625456
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; pioneers
Marker Year 1972
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text One of the very early houses in Jefferson-- apparently built by Mr. and Mrs. Dan Parks in 1860, when city was known as greatest river port in the southwest. Bought 1861 by S. Marsh (1811-1870), this was called the Marsh Place for many years, although owned in turn by various businessmen. For over half a century it was home of Sarah Terhune Taylor (Mrs. H. C. Taylor), a socially prominent charter member of 1881 Club, one of Texas' oldest women's clubs. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1972