Details for Murphy Building (Atlas Number 5315008074)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5315008074

Data

Marker Number 8074
Atlas Number 5315008074
Marker Title Murphy Building
Index Entry Murphy Building
Address 112 Austin St.
City Jefferson
County Marion
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 374069
UTM Northing 3629118
Subject Codes buildings
Marker Year 1983
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Brothers John C. Murphy (1816-71) and James M. Murphy (b. 1820) of Tennessee came to Jefferson, Texas, in 1850. They owned a wholesale cotton firm and were prominent businessmen. In the early 1850s they built this structure as a warehouse in the riverfront district. In 1884 the building was remodeled for county offices and courts. In 1915 it became the city hall, with space for the Chesterfield Dance Club and the Jefferson Volunteer Fire Department. A Diebold safe, installed in 1877, continues to serve the building, again used for county offices.