Details for The Thurman Place (Atlas Number 5315008094)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5315008094

Data

Marker Number 8094
Atlas Number 5315008094
Marker Title The Thurman Place
Index Entry Thurman Place
Address 207 S. Alley
City Jefferson
County Marion
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 373374
UTM Northing 3625401
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; markets, merchantiles
Marker Year 1972
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text One of oldest homes in city. Begun about 1857 while site was owned by "Major" P. M. Graham, land dealer, surveyor, and merchant, who was original clerk of Cass County (then encompassing town of Jefferson), 1846; postmaster, 1849. The place was bought 1859 by merchant Theo Nichols, who in 1882 gave it to his daughter, Mrs. Samuel Thurman. The Thurmans had a deer park on west side of the block, lived here until 1906, and gave property its lasting name. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1972