Details for Connell House (Atlas Number 5317012046)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5317012046

Data

Marker Number 12046
Atlas Number 5317012046
Marker Title Connell House
Index Entry Connell House
Address 410 Convent St
City Stanton
County Martin
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Roman Catholic denomination
Marker Year 1997
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Constructed in 1882 as a two-room home for Carmelite Priests, this was the first building in Stanton. Dennis and Mary (Stoeger) Connell made their home here after their marriage in 1902. Mary bore eight children in the house, which grew with the family. By 1915 the house had five rooms, with more additions made in the 1920s and 1930s. The simple home features a distinctive west gable, weatherboard siding, a front porch with shed room and turned-wood posts, and double primary entry doors. Upon the death of the last Connell daughter in 1990 the house was transferred to the local historical museum. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997