Details for D. P. and Louise Moore House (Atlas Number 5321001145)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5321001145

Data

Marker Number 1145
Atlas Number 5321001145
Marker Title D. P. and Louise Moore House
Index Entry Moore, D. P. and Louise, House
Address
City
County Matagorda
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 210424
UTM Northing 3209331
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Queen Anne (Architectural style); Business topics, general; design and construction
Marker Year 1994
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 2404 Avenue E, Bay City
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Dolph Phenias (D. P.) Moore (1852-1928) moved to Matagorda County in 1869. He married Louise Wendel in 1879 and together they reared ten children. A successful merchant, rancher, and landowner, Moore sold the land on which the town of Bay City was platted in 1894. He moved his family to Bay City that year. Local contractors Hatchett and Large built this 15-room Queen Anne style house for the Moores in 1902. A prominent civic leader, Moore was instrumental in bringing railroads to Bay City and in the development of the area's rice industry. He donated land for Cedarvale Cemetery and park. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995