Details for Old Matagorda Post Office (Atlas Number 5321003763)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5321003763

Data

Marker Number 3763
Atlas Number 5321003763
Marker Title Old Matagorda Post Office
Index Entry Matagorda Post Office, Old
Address
City
County Matagorda
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 209653
UTM Northing 3177177
Subject Codes post office
Marker Year 1965
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location northeast corner of Fisher and Laurel; Matagorda
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text This structure was built prior to 1872 on a town lot purchased by Cyrus R. Sharp in 1837 located several blocks east of this site. Constructed of hand-cut lumber and held together with wooden pegs, the building housed only a general store before postmaster Andrew August Duffy added the Matagorda post office to its function in 1882. High water marks noticeable along the interior walls are believed to be the result of storm and flood damage. The structure was moved to this location and renovated following the opening of a new post office building in 1964. (1993)