|| In 1901, the Palacios City Townsite Company began selling lots for the new "City by the Sea," laid out along Tres Palacios Bay. Three years later, the New York, Texas & Mexican Railway built a line into town, and within ten years Palacios was the site of the Texas Baptist Encampment and promoted widely as a health resort town.
Lumberman John T. Price (1875-1921) and his wife, Opal Dean (Cates) (1883-1980) moved from Tennessee to Palacios in 1906. They built this residence on the corner of Fifth and Duson streets, overlooking Tres Palacios Bay. They lived in the home until 1920, when Howard Bradford Farwell and wife Mary Estelle purchased it and moved it three blocks to this site. H.B. Farwell (1854-1943) came to Palacios in 1905 to manage the Palacios City Townsite Company, and he became a prominent business leader in the community. The Farwell family retained ownership of the property until 1946. Later owners included Amos and Helen (Gilbert) Duffy, and Nelle Elizabeth Kimball.
The Price-Farwell House represents a major shift in traditional residential design. The bungalow became a prominent house form in this region in the early part of the 20th century. Such houses were often built by contractors from set plans or pattern books, with owners responsible for choosing interior detailings and finishes. The home exhibits both Neoclassical and Arts and Crafts influences. Design elements include a pyramidal roof, front-facing central dormer, classical columns, symmetrical façade, three-bay porch and multi-pane window patterning.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2004