||A landmark of the Texas-Mexico border area. Built 1884-85, during term of county Judge Thomas Lamb, on site chosen by citizens' committee, who donated $800 toward purchase of land from R.E. Moffit. Architects: Wahrenberger and Beckman, San Antonio. Contractor: A local builder, William Hausser (1847-1919). Courthouse and a jail were erected at total cost of $20,489. This was site of celebrated Dick Duncan murder trial, 1889. Duncan, accused of killing four members of a San Saba family he was escorting to Mexico, was convicted on evidence gathered by Sheriff W.N. Cooke and Texas Rangers Ira Aten and John R. Hughes. He was sentenced to death by district Judge Winchester Kelso. Duncan appealed to state and federal courts and gained national notoriety, but was hanged in the county jail on September 18, 1891, in the only capital execution ever carried out by Maverick county. Early jail was replaced in 1949. A fine example of Victorian design, with crenelation that suggests a fortress, the courthouse is a border structure with great architectural significance. The clock tower still holds its original E. Howard works and bell. Marker dedicated in September 1971 to commemorate centennial of the organization of Maverick county.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971