Details for Medina County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5325003313)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5325003313

Data

Marker Number 3313
Atlas Number 5325003313
Marker Title Medina County Courthouse
Index Entry Medina County Courthouse
Address 1100 16th St.
City Hondo
County Medina
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 486284
UTM Northing 3246823
Subject Codes courthouses; Classical Revival (architectural style); Italianate
Marker Year 1984
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location FM 462 (Avenue M) at 16th St.
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Medina County was organized in 1848 with Castroville as the county seat. In 1892, as the result of an election, the seat of county administration was relocated to Hondo City (now Hondo). The commissioners court immediately ordered a courthouse to be built at the new county seat. During the administration of County Judge B. Brucks, a building contract was let to the construction firm of Martin, Byrne & Johnson. Limestone with a slightly yellowish cast was secured about six miles north of town from the ranch of Joe Decker. Completed in 1893, the new courthouse provided office space for the county judge, tax assessor, treasurer, attorney, county and district clerk, and featured a large district courtroom on the second floor. Between 1939 and 1942, changes to the 1893 courthouse were made, including the addition of two two-story wings. Stone for the new wings was secured again from limestone deposits on the Decker Ranch. The Classical Revival courthouse exhibits some influences of the Italianate style. Prominent features include the rusticated stone walls, classical portico over the entryway, a broken triangular pediment, and stone hood molds with incised Eastlake designs. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984