Details for St. Louis Church (Atlas Number 5325005053)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5325005053

Data

Marker Number 5053
Atlas Number 5325005053
Marker Title St. Louis Church
Index Entry St. Louis Church
Address
City Castroville
County Medina
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 511851
UTM Northing 3247333
Subject Codes Alsatian immigrants/immigration; Roman Catholic denomination; women, women's history topics
Marker Year 1966
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Angelo Street, one of south block north from 90, Castroville.
Marker Size 12" x 16" Plate & Medallion
Marker Text Built by Alsatian settlers of Castro Colony, in Republic of Texas. Dedicated by the Rt. Rev. John Odin, C.M., first Catholic Bishop of Texas, on Nov. 9, 1846. Claude Dubuis, 1847 pastor, was later a Bishop of Texas. Here in 1868 Sisters of Divine Providence opened their first permanent school in Texas. First mother house of order in Texas was established in Castroville. Marked on 100th Anniversary of founding The Sisters of Divine Providence in Texas. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.