Details for Yancey United Methodist Church (Atlas Number 5325012556)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5325012556

Data

Marker Number 12556
Atlas Number 5325012556
Marker Title Yancey United Methodist Church
Index Entry Yancey United Methodist Church
Address 255 CR 743
City Yancey
County Medina
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; eccesiastical buildings; churches
Marker Year 2001
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Completed in 1925, this church building resulted from the combination of two neighboring Methodist congregations. Circuit-riding Methodist preacher A. J. Potter began holding services in a log schoolhouse south of Yancey in 1875. That congregation eventually came to be known as Wilson Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South, before it moved into the town of Yancey and was renamed Yancey Methodist Church. North of town, the Yancey Ebenezer Methodist Church, South, was founded in 1903-1904, with the Rev. W. D. Wiemers as first preacher, to serve the German population that lived in the area. In 1921, the two congregations were combined, with the Rev. F. W. Radetzky as first pastor. The church building features classic Gothic detailing, such as the pointed arches in the windows and the entryway. Gothic Revival was a popular style for church designs at the time this building was constructed. When detailed in wood rather than masonry, the style is known as Carpenter Gothic. The square bell tower and gabled roof are other prominent features of the building. An open-air tabernacle on the property, once used for dinners on the ground, worship and outdoor classes, was replaced with an education building in 1948. With its history reaching back to the earliest evidence of Methodism in the area, the Yancey United Methodist Church has played a strong role in the cultural and religious history of the community. It continues to serve the area with a variety of service and outreach ministries. The historic church building remains a significant part of Yancey's architectural heritage. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001