Details for Center City Community (Atlas Number 5333000783)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5333000783

Data

Marker Number 783
Atlas Number 5333000783
Marker Title Center City Community
Index Entry Center City Community
Address US 84, E of Goldthwaite, about 8.5 mi.
City Center City
County Mills
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 555914
UTM Northing 3481781
Subject Codes cities and towns; ghost towns
Marker Year 1977
Designations
Marker Location From Goldthwaite, take Highway 84 about 8.5 miles east (marker on south side of road).
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Settled in 1864 by the families of William Jenkins and David Morris (1811-89), this community was called "Hughes Store" after W. C. Hughes and his wife opened a store here in the 1870s. They platted a townsite in 1876, hoping to attract the railroad and to become county seat. An ancient live oak (100 yds. S), by tradition once considered the center of Texas, was site of temporary court and school sessions and religious services. Renamed "Center City", this thriving town boasted several stores and businesses until the railroad bypassed it in 1885. The post office remained until 1920.