Details for Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (Atlas Number 5333005955)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5333005955

Data

Marker Number 5955
Atlas Number 5333005955
Marker Title Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church
Index Entry Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church
Address 1374 SH 16 N
City Priddy
County Mills
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 546606
UTM Northing 3504552
Subject Codes Lutheran denomination; churches
Marker Year 1989
Designations
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text In the 1870s and 1880s many settlers of German ancestry began arriving in this area. In 1889, under the leadership of The Rev. R. Seils, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized. Early worship services were held in the Bismark schoolhouse (approx. 2 mi. S). Beginning with twenty-three charter members, the congregation grew steadily. By 1892, a small sanctuary was constructed and a cemetery was established on the church property (2 mi. SW). Another group of families began meeting together for worship services in the Priddy community, and in December 1903 organized St. John's Lutheran Church. Services were held in the Becker Mountain schoolhouse (approx. 2 mi. E). Soon both German Lutheran congregations were being served by the same minister. In 1929 the Zion congregation moved to Priddy and built a new sanctuary. In 1941, by mutual consent, the Zion and St. John's congregations joined together to become one church under the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church name. A part of Mills County history for generations, this church continues to serve the community with many forms of outreach. (1989)