Details for Mount Olive Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery (Atlas Number 5333012158)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5333012158

Data

Marker Number 12158
Atlas Number 5333012158
Marker Title Mount Olive Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery
Index Entry Mount Olive Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery
Address
City Goldthwaite
County Mills
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 550319
UTM Northing 3495590
Subject Codes graveyards; Baptist denomination; churches
Marker Year 1999
Designations
Marker Location 15 mi. NE of Goldthwaite on FM 2005 to FM 575N on CR 237
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Mount Olive Primitive Baptist Church was organized in July 1899 with nineteen charter members in the community of North Bennett. The new church adopted the articles of faith of the Old Harmony Baptist Association and called Elder W. W. Fowler as first pastor. The church purchased 15 acres of land in 1901 for a house of worship and cemetery. The church building also was used as a school-house and was shared with other denominations. Area population declined during World War ll, and by 1999 the church had four members. In addition to several of the church's charter members, many of the early settlers of the community are interred here, as are veterans of the U. S. Armed Forces. With more than 150 graves in 1999, the cemetery continues to serve the entire community. (1999)