Details for St. Peter Lutheran Church (Atlas Number 5337005076)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5337005076

Data

Marker Number 5076
Atlas Number 5337005076
Marker Title St. Peter Lutheran Church
Index Entry Saint Peter Lutheran Church
Address 806 N Lindsey
City Bowie
County Montague
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 607405
UTM Northing 3714364
Subject Codes Lutheran denomination; churches; German immigrants/immigration
Marker Year 1988
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 806 North Lindsey, Bowie.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text German Lutheran immigrants who settled in this area in the late 19th century were added to The Rev. John C. Schulenberg's North Central Texas Mission itinerary in 1893. St. Peter Lutheran Church was organized in 1894. That year a small wood frame sanctuary was built on land (5 mi. NE) donated by Henry Husfeld. In 1903 The Rev. H.B. Wurthmann became St. Peter's first resident Pastor and in 1919 a new sanctuary/school building was erected. One service a month was conducted in German until 1940. Church facilities were moved here in 1948. The church continues to serve the local community. (1993)