||This farmhouse was first owned by T. J. Johnson, founder of Melrose (11 mi. E), and his wife Amanda. In 1848 it became the home of Amanda's sister Julia, the wife of John B. Hardeman. In the 1860s Amanda gave it to her foster daughter Angelina Martha (Thomas) and son-in-law Lyne Taliaferro "Tol" Barret (1832-1913), who drilled the first producing oil well in Texas near Oil Springs (12 mi. SE) in 1866. Occupied by Barret descendants until 1956, the house was moved here in 1975.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981