Details for Chas. Hoya Land Office (Atlas Number 5347009262)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5347009262

Data

Marker Number 9262
Atlas Number 5347009262
Marker Title Chas. Hoya Land Office
Index Entry Hoya, Chas., Land Office
Address
City Nacogdoches
County Nacogdoches
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 342859
UTM Northing 3497791
Subject Codes commercial buildings; land surveys, land companies, promotional towns; Victorian (architectural term); design and construction; Gothic Revial (Architectural style)
Marker Year 1974
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location corner of Pilar and Pecan Sts.
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Built in 1897 by Charles Hoya (1848-1926), son of Prussian immigrant Joseph T. von der Hoya, and long-time Nacogdoches County surveyor. Designed by Houston architect Frank E. Rue in Victorian style with Gothic revival details, this was the first fireproof building in Nacogdoches and served as a model for other local structures. After Hoya's death, the land office business continued under the management of son-in-law J. Roy Gray, until his death in 1966. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1974