Details for Durst - Taylor House (Atlas Number 5347009270)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5347009270

Data

Marker Number 9270
Atlas Number 5347009270
Marker Title Durst - Taylor House
Index Entry Durst - Taylor House
Address 304 North St.
City Nacogdoches
County Nacogdoches
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 343007
UTM Northing 3497912
Subject Codes cabins, log houses; houses, residential buildings; pioneers
Marker Year 1995
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Durst-Taylor Historic House and Gardens
Marker Size 14" x 24"
Marker Text The family of Andres de Acosta, who settled in Nacogdoches in 1779, owned this property as early as 1809. Acosta sold the property, which included a house to Joseph Durst (1789-1843) in 1827. Durst, who was Alcalde of Nacogdoches when he bought the property, sold it in 1836 to David Hoffman, then Alcalde. It included a house. The architecture of this dwelling is representative of a traditional house form of Anglo settlers in East Texas. It features gable end chimneys, slightly tapered square columns and balustrade, and paneled shutters. It is possible that this restored structure dates prior to 1827, but it is more probable, because of its Anglo characteristics, to have been constructed during Durst's tenure. Subsequent owners of the house include: Issac W. Burton, veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto; Bennett Blake, delegate to the 1875 Constitutional Convention; Thomas J. Rusk, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and one of Texas' first two United States Senators; and William Ochiltree, member of the Provisional Congress of the Confederacy. Lawrence S. Taylor (1842-1925), Civil War veteran and Nacogdoches County clerk, acquired the property in 1870. The property remained in the Taylor family until 1989. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995