Details for Halfway Inn (Flournoy - Granberry House) (Atlas Number 5347009276)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5347009276

Data

Marker Number 9276
Atlas Number 5347009276
Marker Title Halfway Inn (Flournoy - Granberry House)
Index Entry Halfway Inn (Flournoy - Granberry House)
Address 21520 SH 21
City Chireno
County Nacogdoches
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 371179
UTM Northing 3487012
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; inns, hotels, motels; stagecoach routes, stands, etc.
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text This two-story log dwelling was built on the El Camino Real about 1840 by Samuel Flournoy for his wife Minerva (Wadington) and their family who moved to Texas from Mississippi. They settled in the Chireno area, where they purchased 300 acres. An active member of the community, Flournoy was appointed as a Republic of Texas postmaster in 1843, and continued as postmaster as part of the United States Postal Service. This house served as the post office for a fifteen-mile radius, and was a popular halfway stop on the stagecoach route between Nacogdoches and San Augustine, Texas. The Flournoys, after acquiring an additional 500 acres, sold this property in 1852 and moved away. The property changed owners several times until 1917 when H. R. Granberry purchased the house; it remained in his family until 1981. This house was moved twelve miles east of Nacogdoches in 1984, but in 1988 was returned to the Flournoy homestead within one-quarter mile of its original location. This hewn-log residence is constructed of square notch logs two rooms wide and one room deep with a dogtrot, or central hall. The two-story house was restored through the efforts of local citizens. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962