Details for The Sparks House (Atlas Number 5347009353)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5347009353

Data

Marker Number 9353
Atlas Number 5347009353
Marker Title The Sparks House
Index Entry Sparks House
Address
City Nacogdoches
County Nacogdoches
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; medical topics and health professionals
Marker Year 1976
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location on FM 2863, 3 mi. S of Loop 224, Nacogdoches
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text The typical East Texas pioneer home stands on the Pedro Esparza Grant, affirmed by Spain about 1810. It was the residence of Dr. John Marion Sparks (1831-1909), whose family came to Texas in 1832 and whose father, Richard (1793-1839), was the last alcalde of Nacogdoches before the Texas Revolution. Built before 1851 about 8 miles north of this site, the Sparks House was enlarged in 1884. Capt. and Mrs. Charles K. Phillips bought the structure in 1971 and moved it here for restoration. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976