Details for Navarro County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5349007236)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5349007236

Data

Marker Number 7236
Atlas Number 5349007236
Marker Title Navarro County Courthouse
Index Entry Navarro County Courthouse
Address 300 W. Third Ave.
City Corsicana
County Navarro
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 738926
UTM Northing 3553773
Subject Codes Russian immigrants/immigration; Beaux Arts; courthouses; design and construction
Marker Year 1983
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Navarro County was created in 1846 by an act of the first Texas Legislature. It was named for early statesman Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871), a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. The first county seat was established at the home of William R. Howe, an early settler on the Chambers Creek in present-day Ellis County. In 1848, Corsicana was designated the seat of government, and temporary offices were set up in the home of pioneer Hampton McKinney. The second temporary courthouse for Navarro County was a log cabin located on the corner of West First Avenue and Twelfth Street. A second courthouse, built at this site in 1853, burned in 1855, requiring the construction of a third building. In 1880, Austin architect F. E. Ruffini designed a fourth courthouse for Navarro County. The elaborately ornate building proved too small for the needs of the growing county, and a shifting foundation caused the structure to be condemned in 1904. The present courthouse was designed by architect J. E. Flanders of Dallas. Constructed of red Burnet granite and gray brick, it was completed in 1905. The Beaux Arts Classical Revival structure features a clock dome and a pedimental entryway with free-standing Ionic columns. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983