Details for Autrey-Williams House (Atlas Number 5351011082)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5351011082

Data

Marker Number 11082
Atlas Number 5351011082
Marker Title Autrey-Williams House
Index Entry Autrey-Williams House
Address 717 W. North St.
City Newton
County Newton
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 427886
UTM Northing 3413504
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; Classical Revival (architectural style); Victorian (architectural term)
Marker Year 1981
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 1/2 mi. E of Courthouse on North St., Newton
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text The home of several leading Newton County businessmen, this house was constructed in 1912 by turpentine producer L. M. Autrey. In 1918 he sold it to N. A. Dawson, a road contractor. From 1923 to 1979 it was the home of lumberman and civic leader Thomas Williams and his family. Built of long-leaf pine lumber, it was modeled after the Malbis Plantation near Mobile, Alabama, and features characteristics of the classical and Victorian styles. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980