Details for Nueces County Courthouse of 1914

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5355003621


Marker Number 3621
Atlas Number 5355003621
Marker Title Nueces County Courthouse of 1914
Index Entry Nueces County Courthouse of 1914
Address IH 37 and N. Mesquite
City Corpus Christi
County Nueces
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 658001
UTM Northing 3076229
Subject Codes Neoclassical (architectural style); courthouses; design and construction
Marker Year 1976
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location North Mesquite and IH 37, Corpus Christi
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text In 1853 lawlessness in Nueces County, which covered most of the area from Corpus Christi to the Mexican border, prompted the construction of the first county courthouse on this block. Three lots were purchased for $300 from Corpus Christi founder, Henry Lawrence Kinney (1814-1865). A second courthouse was built in the mid-1870's beside the first. Under the administration of county Judge Walter F. Timon (1872-1952), this neo-classical structure was completed in 1914 at a cost of $250,000. The architect, Harvey L. Page (1859-1934) of Washington, D.C., designed the International and Great Northern Railroad station in San Antonio and Laguna Gloria in Austin, home of former Corpus Christi resident Clara Driscoll. Additions were made to the buildings in the 1930's and 1960's. Courtrooms and offices were on the first four floors. The top two floors, separated from the rest of the building by an air space to eliminate noise, served as the jail. In addition to government offices, apartments were provided until the 1950's for the jailer and other county officials. During storms which almost leveled the city, hundreds of refugees sought shelter here. In 1977 county offices moved to a new courthouse building.

Location Map