Details for Old Saint Anthony's Catholic Church (Atlas Number 5355006332)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5355006332

Data

Marker Number 6332
Atlas Number 5355006332
Marker Title Old Saint Anthony's Catholic Church
Index Entry Saint Anthony's Catholic Church, Old
Address SH 44 and S Violet Rd.
City Robstown
County Nueces
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 638484
UTM Northing 3073906
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; churches; Roman Catholic denomination; German immigrants/immigration
Marker Year 1978
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location SH 44 and south Violet Road, from Robstown take SH 44 about 4 miles east
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text In November 1909, the Rev. J. Goebels called a meeting to organize St. Anthony's parish for the recently settled German Catholic farm families in the community of Land Siding, later known as Violet. Louis Petrus donated five acres for a church site, and five additional acres were purchased. The parishioners began construction of this building in 1910, with John W. Hoelscher (1866-1941), one of the earliest settlers here, as foreman of the project. Originally measuring 26 feet by 40 feet, the frame structure served as a schoolhouse and church. The congregation enlarged and extensively remodeled the building in 1919. Three towers were added at that time. A bell, purchased earlier from Spohn Sanitarium in Corpus Christi, was installed in one. The rectory, which served as a schoolhouse and living quarters for visiting priests, was attached to the church building in 1920. Members then fenced and landscaped the area. In 1952 the parish built a larger church, and this structure was moved to serve the parish mission of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in nearby Clarkwood community. In 1975, after that congregation erected a new church facility, the old St. Anthony's building was relocated 200 feet east of its original site and restored as a museum by the Violet Historical Society. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978