Details for First United Methodist Church of Robstown (Atlas Number 5355012986)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5355012986

Data

Marker Number 12986
Atlas Number 5355012986
Marker Title First United Methodist Church of Robstown
Index Entry First United Methodist Church of Robstown
Address 107 N. 4th
City Robstown
County Nueces
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 631566
UTM Northing 3074487
Subject Codes Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; churches
Marker Year 2002
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Robstown, 107 N. 4th
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Formed at the start of the 20th century, Robstown grew around the intersection of the Texas Mexican Railway and the St. Louis, Brownsville & Mexico Railroad. At the time, Methodist circuit riders were active in the area, and a Methodist church, like other local congregations, began in the upstairs of the George H. Paul Building, a meeting place for church groups and Sunday Schools. The first Methodist minister to preach there was the Rev. C.W. Perkins, in early 1909. Later that year, the Methodist congregation organized with ten charter members. The Rev. A.T. White was the first appointed minister. In 1911, under the leadership of the Rev. W.M. McKinney, the congregation built its first sanctuary at this site. In the 1920s, the American Methodist Church was focusing on education and liturgy, emphasizing Sunday School and ordered worship. In response to this, church architects began designing sanctuaries in a more classical tradition. The Robstown church's second structure, erected in 1924, is a good example of that trend. Architectural firm Morris and Noonan of San Antonio designed a red brick Greek Revival building, which featured a large front portico with pedimented entry, Ionic columns, pilasters, a distinct entablature, relief panels and stained glass windows. The sanctuary, based on the Akron Plan, has curved pews and theatre-style balcony seating. Since its first meetings, the Methodist congregation at Robstown has had a strong influence on its community and county as a mother church for other Methodist congregations. It continues to serve through worship and education, and to honor the efforts of its early members through the preservation of its building, which stands as a fine example of American ecclesiastical architecture. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2002