Details for LS Alamosa Ranch Headquarters (Atlas Number 5359002989)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5359002989

Data

Marker Number 2989
Atlas Number 5359002989
Marker Title LS Alamosa Ranch Headquarters
Index Entry LS Alamosa Ranch Headquarters
Address US 385, N of Vega
City Vega
County Oldham
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes ranches/ranching; sheriffs; houses, residential buildings
Marker Year 1975
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location North of Vega on private property, Alamosa Ranch.
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Made of native sandstone hauled from a nearby creek, this house was built in 1886 for the manager of the LS Ranch owned by W. M. D. Lee and Lucien B. Scott. Stonemason Tom Nolan designed it, and the twin bunkhouse facing it, from a picture on the Arbuckle Coffee sack. Former Tascosa Sheriff Jim East was first ranch manager to live here. In 1939 Jack Mansfield bought the property and in 1950 enlarged the house, which is still owned by the family.